_POSIX_CHOWN_RESTRICTED _POSIX_NO_TRUNC in ISC 2.2

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Sat May 25 05:51:32 AEST 1991

In article <1991May22.012236.5854 at cs.rochester.edu> lubkin at cs.rochester.edu (Saul Lubkin) writes:
> Actually, I'm beginning to "get hooked" on some of the POSIX features.  For
> example, when extracting a tar archive with the usual sysv semantics, unless
> you are root, you cannot extract files (without using options) that belong
> to a numerical id not in /etc/passwd (which is the usual case).  POSIX
> semantics extracts the file, making you the owner.

I'm sorry, I can't figure out what you're talking about. Perhaps you can
elaborate. The "usual sysv semantics" don't say squat about chown not
working if the uid isn't in /etc/passwd. I do this all the time with no
problem.
--
Peter da Silva; Ferranti International Controls Corporation; +1 713 274 5180;
Sugar Land, TX  77487-5012;         `-_-' "Have you hugged your wolf, today?"