Dialup SLIP

Larry Snyder larry at nstar.rn.com
Sun May 5 05:17:02 AEST 1991

bill at unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:

>How is this done?  You somehow initiate a dial, establish a connection,
>and then you can do TCP/IP stuff?  like telnet, rlogin, ftp, etc?  What
>hardware and software is required for this?  I don't think SLIP comes
>with ESIX;  is it available elsewhere for a "reasonable" price?

slip comes standard with Interactive TCP/IP and with Dell UNIX SVR4
as well.   utilities such as slattach and sldialup are used to dial
into a machine and initiate a SLIP connection enabling the use of
ftp, rlogin, telnet, etc - as well as nntp and smtp.

we have 4 dialup lines in Indianapolis and run SLIP via a leased line
to our box here in South Bend.

--
      Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287/317-251-7391
                         HST/PEP/V.32/v.32bis/v.42bis