FATAL: Parity error on add-on card. What does it mean ? (ISC 2.2)

Dennis Breckenridge breckenr at mpr.ca
Sat May 25 03:09:34 AEST 1991

In article <818 at isbank.is> stb at isbank.is (Steintor Bjarnason) writes:
>My computer (Tandon 386/33, 8MB memory, Adaptec 1542 scsi controller) has
>been crashing a lot lately with the error message :
>  FATAL: Parity error on an add-on card.
>  PANIC: Parity error address unknown.
>
>Also when I have used shutdown to stop ISC then it has crashed with a :
>   PANIC: Kernel mode trap.  Type 0x0000000E

There are a number of things to try to locate the error. The first
place I would look is in the main system memory. If you have a way
of disabling the parity bit hardware, do that. Try heating the memory
with a heat gun or lamp.

Strip the system down to it's bare components, run with dis only for
a while, then add youer network cards one at a time. You may have
a race condition that is caused by a bus timing problem. It did not
show up right due to new component toleraces. Heat and time changed
the tolerances.

ISC panic 0000000E is a catch all panic, if the machine does not
know why it panic'ed it falls into a routine that dumps it. You
are better off trying this under MESSY_DOS.

Hope this helps

--
Dennis S. Breckenridge  |
MPR Teltech Ltd         | Email:     breckenr at mpr.ca
8999 Nelson Way         |            uunet!ubc-cs!mprgate!breckenr
Burnaby, BC V5A 4B5     | Telephone: +1 604 294-1471 ext 5516