Using cu with rz/sz? Can't be done?

Osvaldo Gold osvaldo at sos.com
Tue May 14 11:44:02 AEST 1991

In article <677 at genco.bungi.com> dls at genco.bungi.com (Dave L. Smith) writes:
>I have tried all sorts of contortions with rz/sz to make them work from
>within cu on SCO Xenix 386, with no luck.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Try this.  It works for me under ODT 1.1.  Allow me to give my example using
xmodem since I don't remember how the rz/sz combo works.

Initiate the cu session to the remote system.

Start "xmodem -sb filename" at the remote system.

Quickly start a shell on the local system with ~!, get root permissions and
  type:

  # xmodem -rb filename < /dev/tty1a > /dev/tty1a

  Substitute your ttys here, of course.  Make sure you redirect both the stdin
  and the stdout.  Make sure you have root permissions too otherwise you can't
  get to the ttys (they are open with exclusive access (?)).

  If you are on the console you could just switch multiscreens to give this
  command instead of going through the anxiety of typing fast before the
  remote xmodem times out.

Voila.  Should work.

Osvaldo Gold                       osvaldo at sos.com
                         ...[uunet]!uupsi!sos.com!osvaldo
These opinions are only my own.  SOS has nothing to do with them.