Does WINDOWS run under VP/ix?

L. Hirschbiegel lh at aega84.UUCP
Tue May 14 21:08:47 AEST 1991

In article <1991May10.203634.8487 at convex.com> graham at convex.com (Marv Graham) writes:
>I am new to this group and don't know where the FAQ file is.  This surely
>must be a frequently asked question.  What results are people having?
>I'd hate to lose the use of CORELdraw (and other MS-DOS apps) by going to UNIX.

Don't despair - you wont loose that wonderful DOS feeling... :-)
All you need is the famous "vpix upgrade 1.2.1" from ISC and Win3.0
will run.
Be prepared for several annoying messages like "not enough memory" when
running Win3.0 under VPIX, but at least it works. I have no reason to
complain about speed on my EISA 486/33, it's like a fast 286 (no exact
measurement here, just from the "look and feel").
I've also found some problems with very large directories when using the
standard file manager. Until now I didn't come across any application
which refuses to run under the VPIX/Win combination - but then again I
didn't try to run really large "monster" applications, just some of the
PD software packages and WinWord (you don't want THAT:-).

And if Win3.0 blows just switch to another vt with X11 running - the real
thing... :-)

Lothar Hirschbiegel