BIG problem with 1542B and Quantum disks

Pierre Asselin pa at curly.appmag.com
Fri May 10 08:44:38 AEST 1991

In article <1991May9.002915.262 at wyvern.uucp>
tmanos at wyvern.uucp (Tom Manos) writes:
>I've started having problems with my UNIX system since I installed an
>Adaptec AHA-1542B and two Quantum SCSI disks: a ProDrive 210S and a ProDrive
>105S, both internal.  [...]

Here goes nothing:  my own "internal" 105S came with terminating
resistors.  Look for SIP's on the PC board just above the SCSI
connector.  Try wiring one drive at an unterminated end of the bus.

As long as I'm here, should I even *think* of removing the drive's
terminating resistors?  I hate to fix something that ain't broke,
but I'd like to do things right.  Tom will have to do something
(maybe).  Is trading-in the drives his only option?

--Pierre Asselin, R&D, Applied Magnetics Corp.  I speak for me.