wanted: UNIX or clone

Jerry Gitomer jerry at talos.npri.com
Thu May 2 07:12:20 AEST 1991

ilan343 at violet.berkeley.edu (Geraldo Veiga) writes:

:In article <281ECF1C.1D46 at telly.on.ca: evan at telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:

::The best way to check compatability, regardless of what platform you're
::buying from, is to go to a knowledgable vendor/dealer who has pre-tested
::what they're selling you. That was always important for hardware, it's
::also often important for software too.

:Not if you are buying an inexpensive, high-volume product.  This should
:be the case with general purpose word processors, spreadsheets etc.
:I wish I could buy them from perfectly ignorant dealers.   This is
:the case with hardware in the PC clone world.  Your favorite computer
:clone-maker down the street sells machines that work with very minimal
:support from their part.

	My circle of friends and acquaintances includes a substantial
	number of pc consultants, many of whom are making good money,
	catering to the needs of those who buy from perfectly ignorant
	dealers.  While it is certainly true that most pc vendors are
	selling price rather than support that doesn't mean that there
	isn't a substantial demand for support.

--
Jerry Gitomer at National Political Resources Inc, Alexandria, VA USA
I am apolitical, have no resources, and speak only for myself.