swap space not first partition

IT Manager jim at tiamat.fsc.com
Sat May 4 06:02:26 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr30.030757.16643 at bilver.uucp>, bill at bilver.uucp (Bill Vermillion) writes:
> Putting the swap between two file systems on a single hard disk is
> the default method that SCO uses.  It seems to work for them.
>
> This goes along with the thinking of some other operating systems I
> have used by putting frequently accessed tracks in a central
> location, eg a part of the disk where the average access time is
> the same - in those small OSes the directories were placed in the
> center of the disk.

It's funny - I started doing a lot of fancy figuring along this line
when setting up an SCO system with large SCSI disks.  The idea was to get
things moved around on the disk for optimum performance.

It was pretty much a waste of time, though, since someone pointed out
to me that the Adaptec SCSI adapter I was using was creating 100%
ficticious drive geometry numbers, and that the SCSI block numbers they
were translated to could be just about anywhere on the disk (as determined
by the on-board disk controller).

Moral: just cause the output of "divvy" makes it look like you're
putting things in the middle, doesn't mean it's so.

James B. O'Connor			jim at tiamat.fsc.com
Ahlstrom Filtration, Inc.		615/821-4022 x. 651