SVR4 (i386) serial port setup

Dewey Coffman dewey at dell.dell.com
Thu May 9 22:23:28 AEST 1991

In article <1991May8.194639.28749 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> mandel at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Hector Mandel) writes:
>urban at cbnewsl.att.com (john.urban) writes:
>
>>>using cu, it doesn't work.  I've tried disabling the port monitor and
>>>setting up the port for outbound dialing only by configuring Dialers,
>>>Systems and Devices files, but it still won't work.  cu returns a message
>>>saying "CAN'T ACCESS DEVICE".
>

>Both.
>
>>Did this exact hardware configuration work on AT&T SVR3.2.2 ?
>
>I have not tried SVR3.2.2 on the same EXACT hardware, so I guess the answer
>is no.  And I'm not about to try it right now either since I would have to
>install SVR3.2.2 and reinstall all 70 + diskettes of SVR4 afterwards!!
>GAAWWDD! :) :) :)
>
>At this point, I really want to find out whether it *should* work.  Then I
>can start messing with the hardware.  The UHC tech support people said that
>the problem is in the OS and not in my hardware ... I need to verify whether
>this is true or not.  So if someone out there has succeeded in getting
>outbound (cu) to work with either Dell's or UHC's i386 SVR4, I would *really*
>like to hear from them!

	This works fine on Dell UNIX V.4. I've seen this message when 'uugetty'
	has already open'ed the port. I'd try turning off portmon or uugetty
	and if you still get the "CAN'T ACCESS DEVICE"  error, then I'd say
	you have found a real bug. It sounds like the UHC people were correct,
	are you running a "Developer's release" or V.4 Version 2.0. I'm seem
	to remember there were quite a few changes between Version 1.0 and 2.0
	that related to UUCP/CU/Async stuff.

	dewey
--
	Dewey Coffman
	UUCP: dell!sooner!dewey, cs.utexas.edu!dell!sooner!dewey