wanted: UNIX or clone

Daniel A. Graifer dag at fciva.FRANKCAP.COM
Wed May 1 03:15:56 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr29.212432.17198 at unixland.uucp> bill at unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>In article <1991Apr28.212531.14727 at agate.berkeley.edu> ilan343 at violet.berkeley.edu (Geraldo Veiga) writes:
>>By the way, are there any mainstream commercial applications (WordPerferct,
>>123, Dbase, etc) that won't run under  some 386 Unix variants?
>I did run into such a situation with
>ISC VP/ix on Esix -- Wordperfect 5.1 requires some special fenagaling
>to get it to work properly -- and then you do awayl with print spooling.
>bill at unixland.uucp                 The Think_Tank BBS & Public Access Unix

I think this is an answer to a different question than was asked.  There are
a number of places where MS-DOS applications running under a DOS emulator
such as VP/ix will have problems.  This says absolutely nothing about the
recent implementations on unix of packages originally popularized under DOS.
I suspect the problems you had would have occured no matter which version of
Unix you were running VP/ix on.  The same is true for Merge386.  I've even
had trouble running WP on MS-DOS PCs that were running PC-Interface. Given
the brain-damaged way DOS encourages developers to write their software, it
is hardly surprising that strange incompatibilities crop up in all kinds
of environments.

Oh by the way, under both PC-Interface and Merge386, I've had success just
telling WordPerfect 5.0 that LPTn: are not network printers at all, and
letting the bridge software do it's own thing to redirect it.  Maybe this
will work for VP/ix as well.

Dan
--
Daniel A. Graifer			Coastal Capital Funding Corp.
Sr. Vice President, Financial Systems	7900 Westpark Dr. Suite A-130
uunet!fciva!dag				fciva.FRANKCAP.COM!dag at uunet.uu.net
uunet!fciva!dag				fciva.FRANKCAP.COM!dag at uunet.uu.net