Kernel core dumps (was Re: out of swap space??)

Marc Wiz marc at ekhomeni.austin.ibm.com
Wed May 15 05:27:13 AEST 1991

> I only played with it briefly, but it looked like the debugger could be
> a security hole.  You could bring up a debugger session without being
> logged on, and probably poke a 0 into the appropriate place in your
> uarea...

Yes that is true that you can poke a 0 into the appropriate place.
However IMHO one of the biggest problems with the debugger was that you
only had addressability to the current process.

If you wanted to look around in another process' address space you were
in for an interesting time.  The debugger didn't have that capability.

Marc Wiz 				MaBell (512)823-4780

Yes that really is my last name.
The views expressed are my own.

marc at aixwiz.austin.ibm.com
or
uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ibmchs!auschs!ekhomeni.austin.ibm.com!marc