Adding IDE drive to ISC 2.2 on ESDI

Dave McLane davidg%aegis.or.jp at kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu May 23 12:36:07 AEST 1991

I'm running ISC 2.2 on a Dell System 333D (386 33 MHz) with a
single 320 MB ESDI hard disk + Ultrastore 12F controller. Now I
want to add a 200 MB IDE drive which will fit inside the case (as
the 3 regular drive bays are taken up with the ESDI, a tape unit,
and a floppy).

According to Dell, the IDE must be the primary drive and the ESDI
the secondary drive but I don't want my root directory, etc. on the
IDE as it is materially slower than the ESDI (I am currently
running the IDE on a DOS system).

So the question is, can I have the IDE drive defined as the
primary hard drive, but have my root directory, etc. on the
secondary drive?

I'll summarize any replies by mail.

Thanks in advance for any advice/experience/caveats you can give me,

Dave

--
Dave McLane <davidg%aegis.or.jp> JUNET
            <davidg%aegis.or.kyoto-u.ac.jp> INTERNET

Minami Hirao 1-6, Imazato                 The content and process of
Nagaokakyo-shi, Kyoto-fu, 617 Japan           international/cultural
Tel: +81-75-951-1168 Fax: +81-75-957-1087             communication.