BIG problem with 1542B and Quantum disks

Tom Manos manos at wisteria.cs.odu.edu
Sat May 11 03:50:31 AEST 1991

In article <1991May10.140925.7452 at rock.concert.net> abc at rock.concert.net (Alan Clegg) writes:
>In article <1991May9.002915.262 at wyvern.uucp> tmanos at wyvern.uucp (Tom Manos) writes:
>. When both drives are installed and mounted doing:
>. find <drive1> -depth -print | cpio -pd > <drive2>
>. will hang the system after a random but small number of copies.  The disks
>. will seem to slow down for a few seconds, until they come to a complete halt
>. from which there is no return save the reset button.  The second disk is
>. totally unusable. As long as I'm only accessing one disk, everything works.
>
>Are you saying that the drives actually spin down?  If so, you may not have
>a large enough power supply in your machine.
>
>[Stupid suggestion, but, who knows...]

Not a stupid suggestion, I just didn't make myself clear.  The drives don't
spin down, but disk I/O slows to a standstill.  Not immediately, but over
the space of 10 seconds or so.

I still haven't gotten any useful suggestions on what is wrong here...
Anybody???

Tom (tmanos at wyvern  or ...!uunet!xanth!wyvern!tmanos)