ISC X-Windows and ATI VGA1024

Andy Ukrainec ukrainec at nimios.eng.mcmaster.ca
Mon Feb 1 19:46:37 AEST 2016

In article <958 at stewart.UUCP> jerry at stewart.UUCP (Jerry Shekhel) writes:
>Hello.  I just installed ISC 2.2.  The "X Window System System Diskette
>Version 1.2 (I believe)" did not have drivers for ISC 2.2, but only for
>2.0.2.  The installation program asked me if I wanted to use the available
>drivers, to which I said 'Yes'.  Anyway, everything set up and X-Windows
>works fine in vanilla VGA (640x480) mode.  However, I have an OEM ATI VGA
>board, and whenever I configure the server for the ATI card, the display
>just shows a bunch of flickering garbage.  My ATI card works in high resolution

Sounds familiar ...

>with Open Desktop, Microsoft Windows, and all other programs with specific
>support for ATI, but not with ISC.  Has anyone got the ISC-ATI combination to
>work?  Please help.
>--

You should have got the v1.2 drivers.  When we upgraded from 2.0.2 to
2.2, we did not get the X11 update, and had to pay additional $$$ to
get it.  Everything will still work, but there is a problem with the
ATI driver that is addressed in the v1.2 X11R3.  There seems to be 3
versions of the ATI card.  It is worth getting the new drivers, since
there is  support for 256 colours in VGA, as well as the higher res ATI modes.
Unfortunately, as soon as we got the software update, our monitor
gave up its 800x600 mode for good.  Sometimes you just can't win.

On a related note, is there an update to the Looking Glass software?  The
version we have has a bug.  The licensing server dies when running at
init level 3.  Works okay at init level 2.