Ultrix v2.2 Surprises

SHUTTER at ithaca.bitnet SHUTTER at ithaca.bitnet
Thu Apr 21 10:30:18 AEST 1988

>...or who write their scripts using csh not sh!  I *always* use sh to avoid
>these nastinesses, and because the 'sh' command language seems to work better
>when it comes to doing baroque things with loops.

The mistake in my script wasn't whether it was csh or sh, it was the moving
of some commands from /bin to /usr/bin. If DEC is going to offer both shells
with it's operating system, then I should have a choice as to which I want
to use.  Sytem management is part paranoia, part common sense and part
style.  My 'style' is using both sh and csh equally when writing scripts.
As a result, hopefully, I can assist user in questions about either.

In case you forgot the orginal message, DEC also moved awk and mt to
/usr/bin.  Using those commands, in either shell, would have resulted in
the same problem.

Wendy Shutter