fun with ultrix 1.2 -> 2.2 upgrade

Frederick M. Avolio avolio at decuac.dec.com
Thu Apr 14 09:22:34 AEST 1988

In article <27822 at felix.UUCP> grr at cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:

>4) The /bin/mail program is actually in /usr/bin, with a soft-link
>   in /bin.  If your users have search paths like /usr/bin /usr/ucb
>   /bin, they will get /bin/mail after the upgrade where before they
>   would get /usr/ucb/mail.  Best thing is to delete the link then
>   move /usr/bin/mail back to /bin/mail, taking care to preserve the
>   setuid bits.

Negative.  Best thing is to tell them to change their paths.  4.4
Berkeley is changing their directory set-up also, I believe.  Some day
(not fast enough for me) all of those ugly symbolic links will
disappear.  The cleanup of the directory structure is long overdue.
You'll only find other things end up breaking in the future.  Leave
mail in /usr/bin and tell people to look in ucb first. (This should
have been done all along anyway...  You should always look in local
bin first, then ucb bin, then usr/bin.  Where you place /usr/new is up
for grabs, but perhaps this discussion doesn't belong here.)

Fred