Ultrix v2.2 Surprises

Frederick M. Avolio avolio at decuac.dec.com
Thu Apr 14 09:34:22 AEST 1988

Wendy et al.  (Wendy, didn'T I meet you at DECUS???)  It is quite safe
to dump a mounted file system.  Actually, on decuac, we dump file systems
while the system is multi-user.  What, me scared???  Nahhhh.

If you want to wimp out ( :-) ) and run dumps on a quiet system, just shut it
down to single user, but leave everything mounted.  I guess you might want to
do an fsck, but would someone who runs dumps on a live system care about
fsck???  Actually, the system assumes that everything is okay unless the system
crashes and so should you...

Fred

[ I just do the equivalent of "umount -a ; mount -r /usr" before doing
  backups on our system.	    -- Art Z. ]