/etc/init -> /bin/init

Barry Wenger wenger at crta.UUCP
Thu Apr 14 09:08:18 AEST 1988

in article <27815 at felix.UUCP>, fuat at cunixc.columbia.edu (Fuat C. Baran) says:

> Seems like DEC thinks that when you upgrade from one release to
> another you should just totally blank out all your disks.  They don't
> even bother to completely document what the changes are, so its trial
> and error trying to put your system back to the way it was...

	This information is greatly appreciated at this site. We are now
  running 8+ systems on 2.0. Last November we went through an extremely
  painful upgrade from 1.2 to 2.0. This consisted of a weekend marathon
  beginning about 5:00pm on a Friday nite, and lasted until sometime Monday
  morning around 10:00 am. (Talk about couple of zombie processes by then :-))
  It took us the better part of the next two months to realize that all the
  changes were not documented fully. Now I learn the same is true on 2.2.
  GASP!!!. We are currently fortunate to have a spare system to experiment
  with, and we were trying to figure out how we could overlay 2.2 on the
  production systems. It is evident that we cannot. I do wonder why DEC
  assumes that, as is noted above, that customers can indeed just wipe out
  the the current work, which has taken us years to put in place and refine,
  and start over. This is essentially what we have to do.  And do you think
  the users understand ?  NOOOOOO WAY!!  We are expected to do in a matter
  of days what has taken years to put together, and have everything work as
  before.