Ultrix 2.3 vs. patches

Dominic Celozzi celozzi at CADILLAC.CAD.MCC.COM
Thu Aug 18 02:07:50 AEST 1988

install Ultrix 2.3 if you are running DECnet.  My home site,
Westinghouse Electronic Systems Group in Baltimore had made the
mistake of attepting to install Ultrix 2.3.  What a nightmare.  As
with most sites, they were running DECnet-Ultrix.  Once the
installation was finished, the system complained about fsck needing to
be run manually.  The only file partition allowed to be mounted was
the root partition.  (Flame On!) Now hear this, DEC was smart enough to have in
their installation script the command "whoami" which resides in
/usr/ucb/whoami.  Now, you tell me, who in their right mind would
reference a command not in the root partition during the installation
of a system.  (Flame Off)  The system became so corrupted by the end
of the pathing and removing of patches that I beleive the system
administrator was forced to completely reinstall Ultrix 2.2!

Bottom line, if you are using DECnet-Ultrix and wish to install Ultrix
2.3,  by all means contact the Ultrix Support Group first and ask if
they have come up with the proper procedure to do so yet.

Dominic Celozzi
MCC VLSI CAD Program [512] 343-0978
P.O. Box 200195, Austin, TX 78720
ARPA: celozzi at mcc.com
UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!milano!cadillac!celozzi