Verdict on Ultrix V2.3?

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com
Sat Aug 27 00:52:20 AEST 1988

> The other big problem area is fsck.  You cannot mix fsck and kernels
> from v2.2 and v2.3.  I.e., you must use the v2.3 fsck with the v2.3 kernel.
> The reason is that the "clean file system" bit moved to a new location in
> v2.3.  The reason for that is that there is a bug in the v2.2 file system
> code that is not caught by the v2.2 fsck.

Acutally, it may be that DEC deserves a cheer on this one.  One of the
known problems with the Ultrix changes to the file system was that they
used a dirty flag comvention that was incompatible with 4.3BSD.  Hopefully
they worked a trade and the dirty bit is now BSD compatible and maybe,
just maybe, BSD disk labels (aka partition tables stashed on disk) will
be Ultrix compatible???  8-)

they