tar in ultrix 1.2 on microvax-II

klg at dukeac.UUCP klg at dukeac.UUCP
Wed Aug 3 22:35:17 AEST 1988

Ray,

  I have used tar and dump both, with Ultrix 1.2 on a uvaxII, and
have done a few (all successful) restores with both the 3M and DEC
tapes.  Another site here running the same setup has had bad
results with the TK50 all around.  Why?  They have had the machine
over a year and a half and never cleaned the caked on dust and dirt
out of the drive.  Generally it has been reliable for us.  Still it
is such a flakey design (leader-catcher popping off its holder
occaissionaly) for a slow speed device I would rather go with
something else (TK70 or a WORM).

good luck,

Kim

---
Kim L. Greer
Duke University Medical Center			try:
Div. Nuclear Medicine  POB 3949            dukeac!klg at escgate
Durham, NC 27710  919-681-2711x223      ...!mcnc!ecsgate!dukeac!klg