Licensing Issues Aren't DEC's Fault

francus at pernod.dec.com francus at pernod.dec.com
Wed Aug 3 22:40:57 AEST 1988

Casey writes:
>So why does DEC worry about it out of all the manufacturers of UNIX boxes.

>> Signed,
>>	A. Nony Mouse
>  This is annoying.  If you don't want to take responsibility for your
>own writing, don't write.

Ok Casey fair enough; my name is Yoseff and I work for DEC. Just because
other companies choose to ignore their license from AT&T does not make it
right for DEC to do so. So don't start knocking DEC about the licensing
issue because DEC follows its license, and everyone else doesn't. How would
Sun and all the other companies react if someone violated their license
with their products.

As regarding pricing/performance issues I'll be
happy to take this off-line with you. Please remember that MIPS is a
somewhat bogus benchmark, and there are other things to consider
besides the box and the operating system (i.e. support).

Yoseff Francus

Disclaimer: I am an employee of DEC in Ultrix, however these are my thoughts on
the matter and should in no way be construed as a statent of corporate
policy.