Ultrix 2.3 vs. patches

Alan R. Silverman animal at ernie.UUCP
Sat Aug 27 00:53:38 AEST 1988

I am running a Unix shop on 12 Suns and 2 Vaxes.

We had MAJOR problems with NFS Stale fhandles that literally crippled
our Vax.  This appeared after upgrading from Ultrix 2.0 to 2.2 with
bug fixes.  I talked to CSC in Massachusetts and they recommended
going back to 2.0, upgrading to 2.2 without bugfixes, then loading
the 2.3 update.  So far, things have gone well, but we paid a price
in downtime (everyday the Vax got hung on stale fhandles) and
aggravation.  2.3 looks ok for now.

		Alan R. Silverman
		(408) 922-3814
		NEC America Transmission Development Department