Name servers on ULTRIX

Frederick M. Avolio avolio at decuac.dec.com
Sat Dec 31 02:20:26 AEST 1988

------- Forwarded Message

> From: greggt at vax1.cc.uakron.edu (Gregg Thompson)

> 	Ok, how does one go about getting mail, telnet, ftp, finger, and
> all other internet related programs to recognize a name server???
> 	Here at the U of Akron, we have a name server running (the one
> from ucbvax).  We are in the process of getting a new sendmail with IDA
> but problems are arising because of the inconsistencies between Ultrix and
> BSD (any help with the new sendmail running on Ultrix with IDA would be
> GREATFULLY APPRECIATED!)
	.
	.
	.
------- End of Forwarded Message

Well, the short answer is install ULTRIX 3.0.  Just came out.  You should have
it.  It has nameserver support built in to everything.

The long answer... You must have sources.  You

1. Compile the nameserver stuff and install it in libc.a in place of the
non-nameserver routines (gethostbyname, gethostby......).

2. Compile anything else that uses those routines (ftp, telnet, etc etc etc)

Like I said... Use ultrix 3.0.

Re: sendmail.... the *only* inconsistency that I can think of is that we still
use the old syslog routines so their are arg count errors which tend to
dump core on you when you run.  Just fix the syslog routines in sendmail
to use the older argument format or install the new syslog routines also...

Fred