Ultrix-32 2.2 panic

Leonard J. Peirce peirce at gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Sat Jul 30 06:50:46 AEST 1988

In article <50690 at felix.UUCP>, mvw at eurtrx.UUCP (Maarten van Wijk) writes:

> I am running Ultrix-32 2.2 and when I shut the system down to single user
> the system sometimes panics with
>
> panic: km_free: bad dealloc

The problem is with accounting.  Shut it off by commenting out the /etc/accton
line in /etc/rc and it should clear it up.  Apparently, when accounting is
running, there is a race condition produced when the system shuts down to
single-user that causes it to try to deallocate some memory that has already
been deallocated.

DEC sent out a patch a while back but it didn't help.  I notified them
and they sent another patch which I have yet to install; I'll probably
just wait until the next version of Ultrix comes out.

BTW, any of the Ultrix sites out there that wonder why Internet mail and ftp
doesn't work so hot, it could be that the TCP_TTL value is too low.  It is
15 on Ultrix 2.2 and it should be 60 according to RFC 793.  Talk to your
DEC rep and see if he can talk someone into giving you a patch (or edit the
file /usr/include/netinet/tcp_timer.h and rebuild if you have sources).  We
patched ours and it helped tremendously.
Leonard J. Peirce		Internet:  peirce at gumby.cc.wmich.edu
Western Michigan University		   peirce at gw.wmich.edu
Academic Computer Center	Voice:	   (616) 387-5430
Kalamazoo, MI  49008