non-DEC hard disks and Ultrix

Ken Greer kg at elan.UUCP
Thu Sep 8 04:34:23 AEST 1988

>From article <55483 at felix.UUCP>, by te at rhi.hi.is (Tryggvi Edwald):
>
> A year ago somebody posted vital information on how to `fix' a hard disk
> not bought from DEC, so that it could be used on a microVAX II.  (The disk
> in question was the exact same model as DEC used in said machine, minus one
> simple jump-wire.)  I have run out of disk space again...

I save everything! ...

| 	I am trying to put a generic Micropolis model 1325 hard disk on
|     a MicroVAX (this drive is exactly what DEC uses on the MicroVAX for
|     its 67 meg hard drive).  Unfortunately, the drive, as jumpered from
|     the factory doesn't work (it won't format etc.).  Could someone
|     tell me how to modify this drive so that it'll be compatible with
|     the MicroVAX controller?
|
| You need to install a jumper in place of R7 on the drive's logic
| board.  I have done this a number of times with the RQDX2 and RQDX3
| controllers and it seems to work quite well.  The cost savings is
| enormous.

We've gone to larger disks on our MicroVax.  We're currently using three
Maxtor 4380 disks with a Dilog DQ686 controller.  Works without any
modifications whatsoever.  The Maxtor disks are 5.25 inch winchesters
with a capacity of 380MB unformatted each.  Prices for the 4380s
currently hover around $2500 each.

Caveat: The full model name that you should buy is the Maxtor XT4380E
(that's the ESDI version).  The older model of this drive is EXT4380
(notice the E is in a different spot.) The EXTs should be avoided as
they are known to be flakey.  Make sure you get the XT4380E only!
--
Ken Greer
Elan Computer Group, Inc.