DEC windows/X windows compatibility

Jim Gettys jg at crltrx.crl.dec.com
Sat Apr 1 05:33:23 AEST 1989

In article <10871 at paris.ics.uci.edu> B. Ferguson <bferguso at ics.uci.edu> writes:
>Has anyone had any experience with DEC windows, specifically how
>compatible with X11r3 is it. Can code written for 11R3 X-lib run against
>DEC widows without change?

Well, you might say I've had some experience with X and DECwindows :-).

The simple answer is, if it doesn't work, its a bug.  The DECwindows
servers should run fine against clients built using the MIT X11R3
distribution.  The DECwindows X servers have the fonts that R3 expects,
and there were no protocol changes between R2 and R3.  Depending if you
are on PMAX or VAX, what comes out of the box may or may not be based on
R3.  PMAX is using an R3 based server, for example.

				- Jim Gettys