nfs daemon blocks system.

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.UUCP
Mon Apr 24 17:58:11 AEST 1989

In article <11582 at s.ms.uky.edu> david at ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
> In article <1659 at eric.mpr.ca> parker at waters.UUCP (Ross Parker) writes:
> >In article <278 at kubix.UUCP> mvw at kubix.UUCP (Maarten van Wijk) writes:
> >Yes! We've been having a problem with NFS that appears to be caused by
> >PCs on our network (using Sun's PC-NFS). Every once in a while the
> >nfs daemons on one of our microvaxes (Ultrix 2.2 or 2.3) will just go
> >bananas and eat up most of the CPU. We run 8 nfs daemons...
> >If anyone has any ideas, I'd certainly like to hear them!! DEC support
> >is clueless so far.
>
> We have the same sort of problem ..
> DEC support is also clueless.

Well, I was about to suggest that you blast the offending daemon with
at quit signal and see if you could get a useful "core" file, which
would at least give some clue as to what the daemon thought is was up
to.  Unfortunatly, the object is stripped, which makes debugging all
but impossible.  Still, you might give it a shot and send DEC the
data.  See "man signal" for things that will elict a dump, they probably
don't try to catch all of them.

Is there any hope of getting DEC to put unstripped objects on the
distribution tape as an optional file?  They seem to be limiting both
the customers and their own ability to diagnose problems by shipping
only the stripped versions...

We run 4 biod deamons here on a 785 2.2, and I haven't noticed the problem
you mention.  On the other hand, NFS use here isn't very intensive and
I might not even notice an occasional "lockup" as long as rn still
works good.   8-)  Oh yea, no PC-NFS (yet) and Sun-2's running 3.x,
a Sun-4 running that interiem release and a bunch of Amiga's running
Ameristar's NFS package.

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net