DECstation 3100

Alex Crain alex at wolf.umbc.edu
Thu Apr 13 09:37:37 AEST 1989

In article <4706 at decvax.dec.com>, rsp at decvax.dec.com (Ricky Palmer - (603)881-0370 - ZK3-3/T74) writes:

> You can't go wrong with the DS3100.

	Sure you can. Just get it delivered with 8meg and watch it swap itself
to death. My configuration = 8Mb + 32Mb swap over the ether. X server, a few
utilities (nothing large) and no decwindows. I can't compile two C programs
simultaniously without getiting "out of swap space" errors, the linker is
*slower* then the vax linker on a 2000. I'm trying to port KCL, and I've
*crashed* the machine twice simply by overloading it! At no time have I
attempted to do something that would not work on my 2000.

					My suggestion is to get it with
> 12-24 MB of memory, the local paging/swapping disks and run diskless.

	My boss wants to use one ofthese things as a server for 20 or so
users coming in off serial lines. How much memory do we need? 100Mb? 150?
I was figuring on loading it up with 24Mb and adding a Maxtor as a swapper,
and then directing user complaints to someone else. will this work?

> ---   Ricky Palmer	 Ultrix Advanced Development
> ---   Digital Equipment Corporation
> ---   Nashua, New Hampshire
> ---   ... One of the fathers of PMAX ...

	Are you sure this thing cooked for the full 9 months? how soon do
we get a less buggy software release?

					:alex
Alex Crain
Systems Programmer			alex at umbc3.umbc.edu
Univ Md Baltimore County		umbc3.umbc.edu!nerwin!alex