DECstation 3100

Chris Siebenmann cks at white.toronto.edu
Fri Apr 21 04:22:29 AEST 1989

In article <17013 at mimsy.UUCP> chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
| SPR....
| Incidentally, the `-C' option does not work in xterm either.  (It is
| listed in the usage error xterm produces, and it is in the manual.)

 You can get almost the same functionality with 'cat -u /dev/xcons' in
a window; you have to remember to kill the cat before killing X11, or
your console appears to hang. Some quick hack-work on xterm could
probably bring back the -C flag fairly easily. This trick works on
X11R2 and X11R3, under Ultrix 2.2 and 3.0 at least and you don't seem
to have to install the UWS software first, either.

 It is possible that the UWS xcons program will also work, assuming it
does the same thing. I haven't tested it, since we don't have UWS
installed.

[trick originally from Stu Grossman <grossman at polya.Stanford.EDU>, in
response to my querry here.]
[and why do people give usefull articles distribution usa? there's
Ultrix hacks up here in Canada too, you know...]
--
	"I shall clasp my hands together and bow to the corners of the world."
			Number Ten Ox, "Bridge of Birds"