DECstation 3100

Win Treese treese at crltrx.crl.dec.com
Thu Apr 20 16:59:52 AEST 1989

In article <8237 at boulder.Colorado.EDU> bobk at boulder.Colorado.EDU (Bob Kinne) writes:
>I am having some problems installing ULTRIX on a DEC RISC processor.
>The DS3100 has a 100MB winchester (too small, I know).  I am trying
>to install from a SCSI TK-50.  After typing the boot command, the
>tape runs for about 5 minutes, then I get the beginning of the
>hardware listing.  It always lists the CPU and FPU, sometimes also
>lists the display, and then produces two exception messages.  The
>second is always

[...more info deleted...]

I'd have to check to be sure, but I believe that the 100MB disk is not
supported as a system disk.  It's certainly not big enough to put a
reasonable Ultrix system on if you've left a reasonable amount of swap
space.

The exceptions are admittedly a poor way to fail if it's simply the software
not wanting to go onto the disk.  Of course, it might still be hardware...

Win Treese						Cambridge Research Lab
treese at crl.dec.com					Digital Equipment Corp.