third-party disks for DECstation 3100

Eric Fielding eric at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu
Sun Apr 23 08:03:51 AEST 1989

I asked about disk drives a few weeks ago, and got a few replies. Meanwhile,
our sales rep from Aviv sent us a quote for their Maxtor 8760S, the SCSI
version of the Maxtor drives that we are now using on our VAXstation 3200s.
I don't know if I should mention prices here, but suffice it to say that
one can get about double the disk space per dollar compared to the DEC
300 MB disk. We are placing an order on Monday, so we might even get it
before our DECstation 3100. (BTW, they also have an 8mm drive for DS 3100s).

Oh, and about the 'standard' configuration complaints, we did not get too
much advice from our DEC sales rep when we were ordering it because we knew
more about it from this newsgroup than they did. Not too surprising for a
very new machine, I suppose. Our decision was to go ahead and get more than
the 100 MB disk that we ordered with it to avoid the hassles involved in
getting the system installed in a small local disk and larger NFS disk, which
several people have said is a real pain.

				++Eric Fielding
eric at geology.tn.cornell.edu