Help with mvaxII/Ultrix crashing irreversibly

Art Mulder art at maccs.McMaster.CA
Fri Apr 7 05:46:45 AEST 1989

Hi.  Help!

	I am running a MvaxII, running Ultrix 1.2

	It has been doing a good impression of a yo-yo for the past several
months.  In fact since January, it has yet to be up for any 7-day period.
These are not minor crashes either.  These are "boot sector of disk munched"
crashes.  I think I've reinstalled ultrix on this baby more times in the
past 3 months than anyone should have to.

Hardware service has not been much help.
	CPU board has been replaced
	4mb Ram board has been replaced
	Tk50 drive and controller have been replaced
	disk drive and controller have been replaced
	Mux has been replaced
	Power supply has been tested - fine.
The only thing that has not been replaced is a DiLog CQ1610 16-port mux.

This is the error messages that we had today when it crashed most recently:
  :
  kda500: hard error, ra0a: hard error sn5886    (<- whole bunch of these)
  :
  start=0, len=120, fs=/usr
  panic: allocg: map corrupted
  Syncing disks...

and when I try to reboot it says "Not a directory, boot not found"

I'm really getting tired of this.  Any suggestions?
please e-mail, thanx.