3rd Party SCI Disks

Steve Campbell steve at avalon.dartmouth.edu
Wed Aug 23 04:45:51 AEST 1989

We are considering purchasing a larger DEC RISC processor (5810), and
are thinking of buying 3rd party disks.  Emulex offers a disk stack
containing their SD891 drives, which are CDC drives with an Emulex
module attached.  Emulex claims that the result is an MSCP/SDI-
compatible unit that can be controlled by the KDB50 just like a DEC
drive such as an RA90.  Would anyone care to comment on whether this
will work under Ultrix 3.X?  If not, why not?

We have also heard that although the KDB50 can nominally run up to 4
disk drives, there is a performance penalty if more than 2 are connected.
Again, can anyone comment?  Any specific figures on the penalty?

							Steve Campbell
							Dartmouth College