Printcap for HP Laserjet II

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.UUCP
Fri Aug 11 15:56:09 AEST 1989

In article <1319 at speedy.mcnc.org> kerm at mcnc.org (Cary E. Burnette) writes:
> I have recently installed a HP Laserjet II on one of our
> computers. I have been able to print regular files (ASCII)
> with no problem. But we need to be able to print tex files
> we have dvi-to-hp program that produces the correct file.
> But when we use the lpr command we get nothing put garbage.
> We think the control signals are getting filtered out, how
> can we prevent this.

Most of the filters do peculiar and undocumented things.  Some, like
ln03rof, do fewer peculiar things than ln03, so you might want to
give that a try.  When in doubt, specifying /bin/cat for the
"accounting filter" is a good starting point.

I posted the source for the BSD 4.3, "do almost nothing" filter where a
while ago, send e-mail if you can't find it and could use a copy...

Remember, there is a section on the printer spooler in the supplementary
documents - the system is more complicated, flexible and perverse than
meets the eye, but not as bad as it seems when you're looking at all
the printcap options...  8-) [sorry, it's getting late]

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net