frustration with tip and cu and /etc/remotes under Ultrix 2.2

Chris Siebenmann cks at white.toronto.edu
Wed Aug 30 13:29:26 AEST 1989

 Well, thanks to some people and some carefull reading of manpages and
kernel rebuilding, I managed to both get a direct connection working
with tip and get the printer to print.

 My problems with tip were caused by port permissions; the port tip
will run on has to be owned by uucp, even if you're tip-ing out as
root. If it isn't, tip fails with the ever-so-helpful "all ports busy"
error message.

 The printer finally started working after I looked at the diskless
client kernel config file and rebuilt it with a "flags 0x0f" entry on
the ss device line. I'm surprised this isn't standard, given that DEC
says you have to do it that way in the ss(4) manpage.

 Send email if you want either the /etc/printcap entry I ended up with
or my direct-connect /etc/remote entry.

--
	"I shall clasp my hands together and bow to the corners of the world."
			Number Ten Ox, "Bridge of Birds"