Ultrix 2.2 and LN03 Scriptprinter

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.UUCP
Thu Aug 10 15:58:54 AEST 1989

In article <1989Aug9.143913.7209 at hfh.edu> brian at hfhrv.UUCP (Brian A. Wolfe) writes:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm contemplating purchasing the LN03S -> scriptprinter upgrade
> for use with an Ultrix system (what I'd really like to be able to do
> is print (MS-DOS) Ventura graphics on some kind of postscript printer,
> I can put the PC on a novell or ethernet network)
>
> I guess I'm assuming I would be able to ftp the ventura files to
> the vax and then print them there, is this assumption valid? Does the
> LN03 scriptprinter work with the printcap remote option (right now
> a few suns use the LN03 too) ?

It should work, the Ultrix "lpr" printer support is fairly generic.
What seems lacking is support of things like the ln03S in the distributed
versions of nroff/troff, sigh...

You should be able to set it up as a "remote" printer.  The only kind
of place I would expect trouble would be where either the application
or protocol felt a need to run a "bi-directional" conversation with
the printer.  There have been cases, in other worlds, where the software
"needs" to interrogate the printer to determine model, sex or other
characteristics.

Disclaimer: we don't have any ln03S's around here, just ln03 & ln03+

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net