xload: restricted operation on file system

Ken Lee klee at gilroy.pa.dec.com
Sat Aug 26 06:21:43 AEST 1989

In article <714 at larry.sal.wisc.edu>, jwp at larry.sal.wisc.edu (Jeffrey W Percival) writes:
> We have a flock of Ultrix vaxes and workstations, and I
> like to have a few "xload" displays on my workstation
> screen.  I do a "rsh foo xload ..." for each CPU I want to look at.
> Most work fine, but one comes back with "restricted operation
> on file system".
>
> What causes this message, and how do I fix it?

>From the xload man page:

     The xload command requires the ability to open and read
     /dev/kmem. On most systems, this requires the suid bit set
     with root ownership or the sgid bit set and membership in
     the same group as /dev/kmem.

A not especially secure alternative is to make /dev/kmem world readable.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee at decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee