LAT Terminal Server Manager for Ultrix

Jeff Michaud michaud at decvax.dec.com
Sat Aug 19 06:58:50 AEST 1989

In article <7683 at cbmvax.UUCP>, grr at cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
> It's not a simple "lat_atttach" system call, rather there's a bunch of
> procedureal gruk that reflects that fact that LAT is neither TCP nor
> DECnet, rather it's more of a do-it-yourself talk direct to the ethernet
> I/F hack, which, like DECnet, is sort of grafted onto the Unix networking
> while remaining it's own rather perverse view of the world...

	DECnet is not "grafted" onto Unix networking.  We use the same device drivers as IP.
	We are no more "grafted" on than IP, just that we aren't bundled with the base system
	(though for the RISC/ULTRIX V3.0 the DECnet kernel components were bundled w/the
	the base system and even built into the kernel by default, so when you installed DECnet
	all it did was drop programs down, ask a few questions, then just turn it on).
	Also remember that "Unix networking" does not always imply IP (just as IP doesn't
	imply Unix :-).
--
|Jeff Michaud    michaud at decwrl.dec.com  michaud at decvax.dec.com|