Preen with NFS?

David S. Goldberg dsg at mbunix.mitre.org
Thu Aug 31 05:28:27 AEST 1989

We are planning to upgrade our 8600 from Ultrix 2.3 to 3.1 in the very
near future.  Since version 1.2 we have been using Chris Torek's preen
program to make fsck's run faster.  With 2.X we started taking
advantage of NFS, but always used the 8600 to export filesystems,
never importing.  Now we want to start importing filesystems as well,
and I put some entries in /etc/fstab to mount them.  When the system
rebooted, preen choked on the NFS filesystem entries (a no such device
error).  I checked the source, and suspect that it wouldn't be too
hard to make preen ignore these entries, but if it's been done before,
I'd rather be doing other things (or rather, my boss would rather I be
doing other things :-).  Has preen ever been modified to work with NFS
filesystems.  I couldn't even find the original source on uunet.
Anyplace else to look?

Thanks,

Dave Goldberg

Dave Goldberg	             ARPA: dsg at mitre.org
The Mitre Corporation        UUCP: linus!mbunix!dsg
MS B020
Bedford, MA 01730
617-271-2460