"ld -A" on PMAXen -- help wanted

Zalman Stern zs01+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Aug 31 13:46:08 AEST 1989

I've ported the Andrew class system dynamic loader to the pmax. At this
point, I think it works, but its been a long uphill battle. Lots of small
problems here and there... Incidentally, our code doesn't use ld -A since
we load and relocate the module ourselves.

As to the 28 bit jump address problem I added the following as a switch to
cc: "-Wl,-D,1000000". I think you can add it as "-D 1000000" to ld instead
if you like. This must be done when linking the base executable that things
are going to get loaded into, not the dynamically loaded modules. This
effectively gives one 128 megs of text address space and 128 megs of data
address space.

As for -G 0'ing things, we were fortunate enough to have sources for all
the libraries we needed. I suggest you hassle DEC about shipping -G 0
libraries on their MIPS systems. There should be a /usr/lib_G0 directory
which contains all the libraries in /usr/lib compiled with -G 0. All in
all, if you look this as being similar to large vs. small model libraries on
the 8086, it starts to make sense. (Before I get flamed about this, I've
already wasted a lot of time trying to get -G 0 and -G 8 code to work
together. If you reference a variable < 8 bytes in -G 8 code but that
variable is defined in -G 0 code, the link blows up.)

Sincerely,
Zalman Stern
Internet: zs01+ at andrew.cmu.edu     Usenet: I'm soooo confused...
Information Technology Center, Carnegie Mellon, Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890