Ultrix 3.1 (aka UWS 2.1) memory requirements

Jim Gettys jg at max.crl.dec.com
Sat Aug 5 01:15:36 AEST 1989

The biggest issue is the toolkit, in particular, things like the fact that
the help widget is built into all applications, which uses many/most other
widgets.  Shared libraries (as well as some dieting), are the right solution.
As usual, though, you don't have to use the DECwindows applications you don't
want to.  Personally, I find the calendar program and the PostScript previewer
the most useful DECwindows applications on the distribution (I'm an old
stick in the mud, and still use xmh; lots of people prefer dxmail these days).

There was a fair amount of work done on the monochrome server, so it is
substantially faster than an R3 server, though not as dramatically as for
color.  I suspect you want to use the DECwindows server.  There is also
the same windowing performance work in it as in the color server, which
was given back to MIT for R4 (which also goes much further in both the
performance and memory usage areas).
				- Jim