DECstations 3100 serial port pinout configuraion

Andrew Poling ecf_hap at jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU
Wed Aug 9 07:45:43 AEST 1989

In article <25929 at agate.BERKELEY.EDU> wilson at potassium.cchem.berkeley.edu (Michael A. wilson) writes:

>     Does anyone know the pinouts to adapt the RJ/11 (6 wire) serial port
>on the 3100 to a 9-pin RS232 ( or a 25-pin RS232 ) ?  We don't yet have
>the technical specs for our machines.

If it's DECconnect (the clip is offset to one side) then it looks like this
inside:

	RS 232 Specs for DECconnect MMJ

		DTR--- 1
		TD --- 2
		GRD--- 3
		GRD--- 4
		RD --- 5
		DSR--- 6

Obviously, if it's not DECconnect you should ignore this.  Note that
flipping the cable over in the MMJ causes a DTE/DCE flip - clever.

-Andy

Andy Poling						andy at gollum.hcf.jhu.edu
Network Services Group					ecf_hap at jhunix.UUCP
Homewood Academic Computing				ECF_HAP at JHUVMS.BITNET
Johns Hopkins University