opser on a workstation

Cathy Accettura cathy at larry.sal.wisc.edu
Sat Aug 12 03:12:15 AEST 1989

I have a Vaxstation 3100 running Ultrix-32 V3.0 (Rev 64) UWS V2.0.
I want to login as operator to shut the system down without becoming
root and doing a shutdown.  I tried login in as operator and typing
the operator passwd.  After a minute of turning my screen to gray
and giving me a pointer it returns me to the login screen again.

I read in the release notes for version 3.1 that you can't do this
so I did what they suggested,  I logged in as me and then su to operator
as operator I typed s for shudown and it said I have to this from
the console.  I was working directly on the workstation.

I have tried this on a couple of other vaxstations and get the same
problem.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cathy Accettura
Space Astronomy Lab