Meta (Compose) Key Strangeness on DS3100

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Tue Aug 29 16:01:24 AEST 1989

In article <8360 at boring.cwi.nl> guido at piring.cwi.nl (Guido van Rossum) writes:
>You disabled the Lock key, but went only halfway.  It can become a
>Control key ....

The control key is not the major cause of `sore finger syndrome'.  It
is that !#*()% `<>' key between Z and SHIFT.

Now, if I could make <> act like SHIFT. . . .  The MIT xmodmap manual
seems to imply that

	xmodmap -e 'keycode 201 = Shift_L'
	xmodmap -e 'add Shift = Shift_L'

should work, but it fails silently (the <> key does nothing at all).
Changing both Shift_Ls to Shift_Rs causes the following error:

	[gyre122] xmodmap -e 'keycode 201 = Shift_R'
	[gyre123] xmodmap -e 'add shift = Shift_R'
	xmodmap: bad set modifier mapping.