Does 3.1 fix security prob. in 3.0?

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.UUCP
Sat Aug 19 16:45:20 AEST 1989

In article <940 at dinorah.wustl.edu> art at dinorah.wustl.edu (Arthur B. Smith) writes:

> Several months ago, when Ultrix 3.0 was the latest greatest thing, DEC
> sent out a "Mandatory Workaround" to avoid problems from chfn, chsh
> and domainname.  Now we have Ultrix 3.1 (which replaced chfn and chsh,
> but not domainname).
> Does anyone out there in Netland know
> whether Ultrix 3.1 fixed any or all of these problems?

My understanding is that the known class of bugs represented by chfn/chsh
did get fixed.  I'm not familar with the domainname varient.  The sendmail/
debug thing wasn't a problem with Ultrix, since debug was disabled...

I've never recieved any of the "security notes" from DEC, though I am the
one who ends up with all the tapes and non-billing paperwork.  I wonder who
DEC thinks is supposed to be receiving these at my site?

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net