grow failed because stack limit exceeded

kris graham graham at fuel.dec.com
Sat Aug 5 07:57:17 AEST 1989

>We have a FORTRAN program which runs correctly under VMS, UNICOS, and Stellix.

>When we run it on a Decstation 3100 we get the message:

>grow failed because stack limit exceeded, pid xxxxx, proc xxx
>ts = 0xc1, ds = 0xdc7, ss = 0x2f

>The program then runs for a few more minutes before crashing with:

>Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Typing "limit" at the shell (DECstation 3100 UWS 2.1) shows the following

csh> limit
cputime         unlimited
filesize        unlimited
datasize        85988 kbytes
stacksize       512 kbytes
coredumpsize    unlimited
memoryuse       12744 kbytes

So, why limit your stacksize ;-) ?

csh> limit  stacksize unlimited   .......(or, you can set your own limit like ...2048,4096, 8192, unlimited )

is the one  way to 'liberate' your Fortran program....unless something
weird is going on.
--
Christopher Graham
Digital Equipment Corp