Named pipes on NFS file system?

Guy Cardwell gcardwel at envy.eng.uci.edu
Fri Aug 4 04:37:31 AEST 1989

In article <7534 at cbmvax.UUCP> grr at cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>In article <PERF.89Aug2163421 at osiris.efd.lth.se> perf at efd.lth.se (Per Foreby) writes:
>>
>> Running Ultrix 3.0 on Mvax II and VS2000.
>> Named pipes doesn`t work on NFS file systems.
>
>Did this happen only between the Vax systems and the Suns?  It was
>easy to duplicate between a 785 and Sun 2 an Sun 4 systems, but I
>couldn't make it happen between Vaxes.

Doesnt work... sounds to me like you were lucky..  when I tried named pipes
on our Sun 386i (SUN OS 4.0.1) which has space mounted from our Vaxstation II,
(Ultrix 3.0) the Vaxstation took a leap off of the deep end.  Messages on the
console were something on the order of...
Segmentation Fault...
Stack dump follows....
Saving kernal....
Rebooting...
It managed to do this twice before I shut off the 386i.. it still had a cat
running into the FIFO.  yes, i can repeat it any time... so can our 386i
users. :(
--
look.... even a test signature.....