A Plea to Mailing / News Forwarding List Maintainers

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.UUCP
Sat Aug 19 16:35:21 AEST 1989

In article <19062 at mimsy.UUCP> steve at umiacs.umd.edu (Steve D. Miller) writes:

>    If you're trying to hack headers to make sure that mail/news bounces go
> back where they belong, I'd suggest using the RFC 822 Sender:  line rather
> than Errors-To:.  The former is standard, while the latter is not.  The
> former works pretty well, too; on a large (> 500 users) mailing list I run,
> on which I put a Sender:  line in the header, submitters usually don't see
> any bounces.
>
>    Hacking the From: line may or may not be worth it.  I don't, but that's
> just me.

I don't have any real problem with your comments, however there is some
question about which header lines survive gateways into VMS mailer(s).
I know the From: line makes it 8-).  The Sender: stuff makes sense,
however looking briefly at RFC822 didn't really reveal much about the
semantics - whether it would serve to redirect error messages or whether
it served mostly as a comment entry.  I dug around a bit in sendmail and
mostly ended up with a headache.

Happily, the problems seem to have gone away for the moment!

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net