Fun with void under Ultrix

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.UUCP
Sun Aug 20 05:28:03 AEST 1989

In article <89Aug17.222844edt.30797 at snow.white.toronto.edu> cks at white.toronto.edu (Chris Siebenmann) writes:

>  I wouldn't mind cc not supporting void, but I get a tad bit annoyed
> when it drops void declarations into the bitbucket without telling
> anyone. I guess I'll just tell people to use gcc.

I think this is a result of the Ultrix cc dating from the period when void
had been added with the meaning of "ignore the return of this function" or
"this function doesn't return anything".  The added notion of a pointer to
void being a universal pointer and other niggling details came later.

Of couse DEC should upgrade their compiler to support such new wave notions,
or do they expect to use vcc in place of the default compiler?  You did
file an SPR, right?

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net